Shell has made a final investment decision (FID) on Sparta, a deepwater field in the US Gulf of Mexico (GOM). It includes four blocks in the Garden Banks area.

Sparta is planned to have a semi-submersible production unit installed at a water depth of over 1,400 metres. The operator expects to initially have eight oil and gas production wells.

With an estimated recoverable resource volume of 255 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe), Sparta's peak production is calculated at 90,000boe per day.

Sparta is operated by Shell with a 51% stake, while the remaining 49% is owned by Shell.